I don’t know about you, but receiving a personalized Holiday Card from a family member is one of my favorite things. I keep that card all year long on my fridge. I only take it down when I get the next amazing card from them. But picking out what to wear can be hard to do because everyone is so different. Let’s talk about Family Holiday Outfit Ideas for your Holiday Photo Session.
Family Holiday Outfit Idea Guideline
- Choose a Color Pallete: While everyone in your family has their own unique sense of style and taste, you don’t want to be distracting in your photos. Talk to your family members about their Holiday Outfit Ideas. Try to settle on a matching color pallete that will make everyone happy. Because you’re getting Holiday Photos done you may want to use a color that’s traditional for this time of year such as red, green, white or use a color combination like blue & silver. You don’t want everyone wearing the exact same shade, though. Keep your photo interesting by complimenting each other more than matching.
- Choose Patterns that compliment: If a few people in your group like patterns why not mix it up a bit? Plaid is a great Holiday Outfit Idea. We have plaid tree skirts, plaid scarves, plaid socks, etc. Everyone loves plaid this time of year! But throw in some stripes and solids to mix it up. As long as you’re using that common color pallete you’re going to look amazing!
- Wear what you’re comfortable in: Wearing a style of clothing that you don’t normally purchase is not a great Holiday Outfit Idea. You want to look and feel relaxed and comfortable in your photos. When you feel relaxed your genuine smile comes through and your photos will show it. We can all spot a fake smile in a picture. We want to see your real smile shining through! If you don’t normally wear a skirt I wouldn’t suggest buying one for family holiday photos.
- Wear what you already own: If possible, choose your Family Holiday Outfit from your own closet. It goes along with the previous idea. The more you’ve worn an article of clothing, the more comfortable you are in it. We all know how long it takes to break in brand new blue jeans. I’ve personally been a witness to uncomfortable wardrobe malfuntions from clients wearing brand new outfits. It’s not pretty. If you are planning on buying something new, purchase it early enough to wear it a few times before your photo shoot.
- Have FUN and Express Yourself: The last rule to remember is…there really are no “rules”. The point of a Family Holiday Photo Session is to capture the unique, fun, wild, and crazy story of who your family is!! Your personalities should shine through in every joy filled image because that’s who your friends and loved ones expect to see. When you’re sending out a holiday greeting they should see you for the wonderful person you are.
Book Your Holiday Photos
Now that you know what to wear, you’re ready to book that Holiday Family Photo Shoot! We’re planning 2 exciting weekend events for Holiday Mini Sessions. Find out everything you need to know AND reserve your spot by clicking the button below.