HOW TO CREATE A MOODBOARD
Creating personalized photography and cinematography requires that we understand your personalities, your preferences, your hobbies, and your relationship. To help us get to know you, we need you to create a “moodboard.”
So what is a Moodboard?
A moodboard is simply an idea or inspiration board on which couples display their favorite images. Couples add images and videos to their moodboard to visually communicate aspects of their style preferences.
For example, you might love the angle or composition, a specific pose, the type of lighting, the style of post-production or any other component of the photograph or video highlight. Your board allows our entire team, from the photographers and cinematographers all the way to the post producers, album designers, and video editors to get on the same page and clearly understand your preferences.
Moodboard vs Shot List
A Mood board is NOT a “shot list.” A “shot list” is a detailed list of must-have shots for the photographer to follow and check off throughout the wedding day. This type of checklist is discouraged, as it inhibits a photographer’s creativity and focuses his or her attention on duplicating and recreating, rather than innovating and originating.
How to Create a Moodboard for Photography
- Create a Pinterest account (or sign into your existing account)
- Create a Board called “Wedding Moodboard” (Be sure to leave it as public)
- Visit the Erie Photography and Erie Wedding & Event Services Pinterest pages. “Pin” images that you like, making sure you add a detailed description of why you like the image. The majority of your images should come from Erie Photography’s work.
- Add in a few more images that you like from around the web (along with descriptive captions).
- Once complete, send the Mood-board URL to our studio management
- After reviewing the moodboard, we will set up a conference call with you and your photographer to review the moodboard together and to review the details of the event.
Characteristics of an Ideal Mood-board
Here are a few characteristics of an ideal Moodboard:
- It does not have too many images (20-30 is just fine)
- It is NOT a shot List
- It has detailed descriptions
- It includes shots from your wedding venue or similar wedding venues
Mood board Visual Example
Please see this visual GIF that shows you how to add photos to your cinema Moodboard.